anisotropic Si etch ?

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 14 09:45:52 PDT 2003

Hi Ken,

Drytek4 was actually obtained for etching dielectrics (SiO2 and Si3N4) for
III-V materials. As far I know, there was never any serious Si etching done in
this tool. It is still used mainly by the III-V people so there is a concern
that any new should not affect the dielectric etching done in the chamber. The
main difference between the this tool and the other Dryteks is that it has a
asymmetric or RIE Mode electrode configuratiuon while the others have a
symmetric or Plasma Mode  configuration.  This means that you will get higher
ion energies for the same power density input. For the same chemistry
(CHClF2/SF6), you will most likely get some improvement  in how anisotropic the
etch is. Going to the MRC would give you both the RIE mode and lower pressure.
Lower pressures will give you both higher ion energies and more ion
directionality because there will be fewer collisions in the sheath.  Sorry, I
do not have any Si etch data for either the MRC or Drytek4. Except for the
recent CHClF2/SF6 work in Drytek 2, most of the development on anisotropic Si
etching in the Dryteks was done in the mid-80s before we had Drytek4.

    Jim