Best material choices for bonding non-Silicon wafers?

Edgar Peralta eperalta at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 22 02:03:06 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm interested in bonding two fused silica/quartz substrates with a
patterned 'spacer' film in between and I was hoping to get some advice on
what my best choice of material would be for this film.

I'm thinking the simplest would be a metal since I could pattern it by
liftoff. But would two metal surfaces bond well to each other? or is it
better to bond metal to silica?

The other option would be some kind of LPCVD deposited film that I could
pattern by highly selective etching over silica (since my silica trenches
would get filled). I was thinking poly-Si? I could use XeF2 to etch it out
of the trenches but would poly-Si to poly-Si bond well? or is it better to
bond poly-Si to silica?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Edgar