Gasonics for Descum -I would not

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 14 08:01:00 PDT 2009

All,

During my time doing training on the Gasonics  I would discourage
anyone from using the tool for descum.  The tool is designed for
massive photoresist removal and is not optimized for soft processes
such as descum.   As Raja found, the uniformity of the resist removal
is very poor.  The resist removal rate is very dependent on wafer
temperature.  The purpose of step 0, is to increase the wafer
temperature significantly high 300C or greater to get a rapid
initiation of the carburization of the photoresist.  The process is
exothermic, so we lower the lamps to assist in the continuation of
the process once it has been initiated.  If you do not heat the
wafer, then the carburization process is even more difficult to
control.  Putting all this together you can see this is a very
difficult tool to control a process such as descum.  One other
critical point to note, is the resist removal is very isotropic.  In
RIE systems the ion energy makes the descum process much more anisotropic.

I know there has been desire in the past to use the Gasonics for
descum (or even the matrix).  From what I've learned about the
Gasonics, I believe you will get a very poor descum process and I
don't recommend it.

Ed