Problem innotec SNF 2010-12-05 00:43:24: Pt splatter - crystal failure

ajamo at snf.stanford.edu ajamo at snf.stanford.edu
Sun Dec 5 00:43:24 PST 2010

Previous user reported Pt source exploded @ 9%.  he added pellets and finished.  Source looked good when I started.  Crystal was new.  I ramped the power slowly up to 7% and rate was at .2 A/sec.    I was moving the beam to condition the source  during dep,  power stayed at 7% .   Pt splattered again.   After that the crystal monitor failed, possibly Pt on the crystal .   controller flashed message crystal failure Stopped dep @ 300Ang and  Venting now to check the crystal.