Heads up

Anthony Flannery flannery at leland.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jun 27 16:29:39 PDT 2000

Innotec Users:

I just wanted to send an e-mail out to the users for a heads up on the
Innotec.  Sometime in the next few weeks I will be re-installing the ion
gun in the Innotec.  Chris Storment and I had good results using it to
reduce the tensile stress in deposited metals to roughly a quarter of
what they would have otherwise been, and I need to use it to deposit
some thicker films of Pt and/or Ir.

For those who don't know, the ion gun shoots Argon ions at the wafers
during the deposition. The energy of the ions is such that they provide
some energy for surface rearrangment and can reduce several fold the
tensile stress typical in evaporated metals.

1. If you have any critical runs and want to get them done before I
install the gun, let me know.

2. The tooling factor will change.  I will do a dep and let people know
what it is.  If you have a critical thickness run, though, you may want
to either get it in ahead of the installation or double-check the
tooling factor afterwards.

3. If you want to use it, you will have to be trained.

I'd also be interested in whether or not most people want me to leave it
in or take it out when I am done.  It is a useful tool, particularly for
metals like Cr, Pt, and Ir.  The downside is that it shadows the wafers,
reducing the dep rate by somewhere around 20%.  It also has to be
maintained to continue to function properly which means changing the
filament occasionally and keeping it wrapped properly.  It does not have
to be used during the dep and can just be left off. Let me know what
your thoughts are.

This won't be happening for until well into July, but I thought I would
give everyone an advance warning.  I will send out another e-mail as the
date gets closer.

Thanks,
Tony Flannery