Ion Gun in Place

Anthony Flannery flannery at leland.Stanford.EDU
Mon Oct 9 05:01:26 PDT 2000

As foretold in previous e-mails, the ion gun is now in place in the
Innotec.  I will only have it in place for a week to 10 days.  If you
use the Innotec please observe the following:

1. Dep rates will be reduced by about 20%. Because it will only be in a
week, I will not change the tooling factors.  Re-calculate manually. If
you require precise thicknesses, you should do a calibration run. (You
should do that anyway because the shown thickness of the crystal is not
accurate.)
2. Do not activate the ion gun. Improper usage could destroy it.
3. If you must rewrap the foil, include the gun.
4. Do not remove the gun. The gas connection is delicate and is not
meant for repeated removal.  Also, moving the gun under the shield is
inadviseable because the electrical connections do not fit well under
the shield and could cause a short if they shift.
5. Don't touch the knobs of the controller. Setting it up is tricky and
requires a bit of work.

Any questions, let me know.
Tony Flannery