Reservations Policy, version 4

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 13 11:50:29 PDT 2004

Hi everyone --

We understand that people are still having problems with the
reservations on innotec.  Unfortunately, this system is likely to
continue to be a bottleneck for some time, so we are going to have to be
creative in finding ways to make access to this system as fair as
possible.  Although there are ways in which the cycle time might be
improved, the numbers appear to show that the machine utilization is
less than 40% of availability, yet >40% of reservation time goes unused
-- these numbers suggest that it's our reservation system which needs to
be examined.

Based on suggestions from several innotec users, I'd like to suggest the
following changes to the current reservation policy.  x

1.  Set a maximum of total reservation time in a rolling seven day
period to 8 hours (currently 12).
2.  Reservation cancellations should be done as soon as possible and
accompanied by an email to "innotec at snf".  Cancellations less than 24
hours in advance may be subject to additional charges (equivalent to the
equipment fee for the time reserved.)

Any other ideas?  Would it be helpful to have a "on call" list in case
someone is done early or can't use a reservation?  Are their any
misuses/abuses of the current policy that we can find way to address?
Would it be helpful to have a "softer" start-time policy?

Your feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Please let
us know as soon as possible, as based on the concerns heard thus far,
we'd like to implement changes as soon as we get a reasonable consensus.

Thanks,

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.