Reservations Policy #5 (and other policies)

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 8 07:54:53 PDT 2004

Hi everyone --

Following positive (or neutral, but almost no negative) response to
suggestions posed in my last email, the 8-hour limit on total innotec
reservation time (during a rolling 7-day period) is in effect as of
midnight last night.  Please let us know if you experience any problems
with this.  Also, the reservation policy (since the Coral policy system
was implemented) is that a single reservation may only be 4 hours,
maximum, during any time of the day.  I understand that there are a
couple of people who prefer to use long, overnight pumpdown times -- if
this 4 hour reservation limit poses a problem, please speak with
Jeannie, Maurice, Ed, or me, and longer reservations may be made, on a
case-by-case basis.

The second policy change (although this will not appear on the Coral
policy system) is that if a reservation is not cancelled at least
24-hours in advance AND the time goes unused, the person making the
reservation MAY be subject to a penalty fee in the amount of the time
reserved.  This will include "sliding reservations" that we've received
complaints about (in which someone makes a long reservation, i.e., four
hours, but then cancels and immediately remakes the reservation for a
shorter time, i.e., three hours, later in the reservation window, which
may leave an unusable time slot.)  No, we are NOT going to police
reservations, but the purpose of a reservation system is to help ensure
fair access, and if we receive enough complaints about individuals or
groups who abuse the spirit of fair access, then we WILL enforce it.

Finally, I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify a couple of innotec
policies which may not have been very well defined (or defined in
various ways) in the distant past.

1.  Equipment fees:  These are charged by equipment time used, like all
the other equipment in the lab.  (It used to be a flat fee, although
this was not generally known, and was changed quite a while ago.)

2.  When to enable on Coral:  The innotec should be enabled as soon as
you start to use it (i.e., before venting the chamber in preparation for
sample loading as stated in the operating instructions.)  Some of the
old-timers (pre-Coral) have indicated that they were trained to enable
only when actually turning the beam on, as an additional safety
measure.  However, please note:  the Coral interlock may be tied into
the safety interlock system, but is NOT a safety feature.  By enabling
on Coral, you tell everyone that you are using the system and other
people cannot.

Whew!  I hope that covers all the concerns that have been expressed to
us over the past several weeks.  If not, please make them known and
we'll make every attempt to address them.  As you well know, the innotec
is one of the main bottlenecks in the lab -- and we can all make rules
until we are blue in the face, but fair access is really a matter of
everyone just working together.  Please be considerate of others --
please reserve and use the system in such a way that it is available for
others to use, if they should choose.  (Okay, now I'll get off the
soapbox.)

Thanks for your attention --

Mary

--