Gold Adhesion Question

Rashid Zia zia at stanford.edu
Sun Mar 13 22:56:01 PST 2005

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to evaporator gold onto fused quartz or
silica without an adhesion layer.   I have heard that cleaning a glass
surface just prior to deposition by plasma etching, argon ion milling, or
simple heating may promote adhesion.   Has anyone ever tried these methods?

Right now, I am using a 1.5nm Cr layer for adhesion (of a 55nm Au layer
which is for an e-beam lithography process with PMMA and liftoff), but I
would like to eliminate or reduce this layer.   I would really appreciate
any suggestions.

Thanks,
Rashid.