Innotec Planning Questionaire

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 11 13:44:35 PDT 2009

Innotec Users,

Attached are two documents regarding Innotec usage.  The utilization
graph shows the level of usage of the Innotec.  As you can see, the
utilization rate has climbed by ~25% over the last few years.  This,
along with the cancelation of reservations has created a lot of pain
for those depending on this tool.

The second attachment (Usage Items) is a list of all the depositions
done in the system since mid-October 2008.  When I looked at the
depositions, it appears that ~75% of those depositions could be done
in a different tool.  I admit, there are a lot of assumptions
regarding this estimation, one being we may not have that other
tool.  We are attempting to do some equipment planning and we need
clarification as to why you have chosen to use the Innotec.

To me, there are a couple of options to relieve the pressure on the
Innotec.  The simplest and the one you hear the most is a second
Innotec.  Option two may be adding/replacing/modifying a metal system
to off load the deposition which don't have to be on the Innotec.  A
third option may be addition of an ion mill system to lower our
dependence on lift-off processing.  Or options you can point out.

I prefer we chose the correct tool for the right applications and add
capability if possible (we have not forgotten about the requests for
dielectric depositions).  For example, if we can identify another
tool which can off load the Innotec and provide new capability this
could also be a winning solution.  Another approach could reconfigure
the Gryphon or SCT or working on the uniformity of the metalica.

To help us in planning, could you please respond as to why you use
the Innotec.  The reasons may range from the need for very thin
films, uniformity of the deposition (then you should provide a
uniformity target), in-situ thickness monitoring (what range can you
tolerate?), multiple layers in a single pump down (how many?),
required for lift-off (what metals are you  sing) device sensitivity
(plasma damage), substrate (polymer or organic), contamination
categories (clean verse gold contaminated), large batch of wafers
(how many), or I would use a different tool (if it did...).....

Please hit the reply button and share your reasons for using the
Innotec and what other approaches could serve your needs.

Thanks,
Ed and your SNF staff