Locked up SunRays ...

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 17 11:09:46 PDT 2000

SNF Lab Members:

As many of you are painfully aware, we have had a number of problems with
SunRays getting in a permanently "hourglassed" condition ... they seem to be
waiting for something indefinitely ... in general, it appears to happen to
most folks before the netscape icon appears and before the Coral application
starts so we believe that it is not a problem related to the Coral application
itself locking up.

We have been working with Sun to try to eliminate this problem ... but, thus
far, they don't have a fix.  However, we do, at least, have a key stroke
sequence that will clear this problem once it has happened:

To clear one of these sessions hit: <Cntl> <Alt> + 4 Backspaces.
That is hold down the <Cntl> and <Alt> keys and hit Backspace 4 times in a
row.  Within a short time, this should clear the session and return to the
login prompt.

Also, please remember that everyone should be using a smart card in there.
With this fix there is no reason for not having a card and for not using it!

Thanks for your cooperation,