TMAH "sieve"

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 6 16:58:08 PDT 2001

Oh, cool!  Have you thought of getting one of those membrane filters from
Millipore (the Durapore to Fluoropore models) and sticking it in the bottom of
a glass fritted Buchner funnel?  Then you could use vacuum to suck out and
rinse your cubes.  The pore sizes of these membrane filters is on the order of
tenths of microns to microns, I think (they are used for filtering out
bacteria and things of that size range.)  The Dura- and Fluor- pore materials
are Teflon, so are pretty impervious to anything.  These membranes might be
available in Chem or Bio stores (I know they stock a variety of Millipore
membranes there, but not sure which varieties) and Buchner funnels and side
arm flasks are available in Chem stores.  The only tricky part is that we
don't have an appropriate house vacuum system in the lab to run this -- but
you could easily find a chemicals fume hood with a house vacuum hookup any
where on campus.

Mary

"S. J. Smullin" wrote:

> We are trying to dissolve silicon around tiny gold cubes. We want to
> save the squares -> we need a way to contain the squares when the silicon
> is gone. Any suggestions for something with a very fine mesh that won't be
> dissolved by TMAH? (or KOH?)  I have never really observed what happens to
> clean room paper -- will this hold up?
>
> any advice would be great.
>
> cheers,
> Sylvia