Intermitten failure of Coral ....

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Sun Jan 7 19:18:49 PST 2001

SNF Lab Members:

We are working on a subtle problem that causes the equipment hiearchy of coral
to show areas, and sub-areas, but doesn't show any individual pieces of
equipment.  This does not show up initially after the servers have been
restarted ... but then begins to crop up after about an hour.  Unfortunately,
we have been unable to duplicate this on our development machine.

We are working hard to track down the source of the problem ... however,
because people can't enable or disable equipment, or make any reservations
after the equipment listings fail to show up, we are currently automatically
restarting the servers every hour, on the hour, in the hopes that you will be
minimally inconvenienced.

We hope that this will not be in effect for long ... but ask for your
indulgence and patience during this troubleshooting period.  We are doing
extensive logging to help pinpoint the cause of these problems ... but that
also requires that we run things long enough for something to break in order
to track down what is causing this problem.

So, if you run into problems ... you should only have to wait until the next
hour (e.g., 7 a.m., 8 a.m., 9 a.m., etc.) for things to be reset.

Thanks for your patience,

The Coral Development Team