V-groove etching

Dan Grupp grupp at snow.stanford.edu
Tue Sep 25 13:18:53 PDT 2001

Widening can be due to undercut. Undercut is due to misalignment of the
100 direction with the mask. If you look in SEM should see vertical ridges
in groove. Spacing of ridges tells degree of misalignment (I may have
photos of this).

Solution: run a test patch on part of wafer with many grooves rotated by
fractions of degree. Pick best one, then use it for alignment (or input a
rotation).

-Dan

By the way, if you have misalignment, etch may not be self-limiting, keeps
going but slowly.

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 KCheng8988 at aol.com wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am working on the width control of V-groove etching on (100) Si wafer after KOH etching. The width alwayse gets wider (6% variation) after the etching. Please advise any suggestion that can solve this problem. Thanks.
>
> ken cheng

Dr. Daniel Grupp, Visiting Scholar
Center for Integrated Systems
Stanford University