Labmembers: HELP!!!

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 18 18:02:42 PST 2002

Calling all labmembers!!

We need your help!!

The wise and revered administrators of the NNUN are asking labmembers at
SNF to provide them with project summaries.  Most of you were so helpful
as to provide us with project slides last November for the NNUN annual
meeting (many, MANY THANKS!!)   However. ..  the required format for the
2002 report has since changed -- and they are now requesting project
summaries to be provided as follows:

- Title, Author, and Institution
- 100 word abstract, and 600 word extended technical abstract
- 20 word figure caption for up to TWO figures

I'll spare you the detailed list of electronic formatting
requirements...  Based on our labmember numbers, we are to provide 45
project summaries...  By the end of next week...  Ahem...

Needless to say, not terribly realistic at this point in time.
However,  I think we can get away with setting our sights at a more
modest level -- so am appealing to you all for help...

LABMEMBERS:  Do you have an ABSTRACT ALREADY DONE that you could share
with us?

The abstract could be already presented at a meeting last year or
prepared for an upcoming one.  Whether or not it has been accepted does
not matter (although we can include something like "submitted to the
2002 APS meeting" or "accepted for the MRS meeting" as appropriate.)
And at this point, it does not matter whether you adhere exactly to the
format above -- some technical verbiage (~100 words?) and a graphic
would do very nicely.

If we can prevail upon you to help out, please email your abstract to
me, in some sort of editable electronic format (not that I will change a
single word --  but I am going to make the heroic attempt to convert the
files to the arcane format required.)

Contributors will receive a GIFT, as a small token of our deepest
appreciation for helping to save our collective bacon.  No, not an "A"
parking permit, but something more valuable... an official, limited
edition, SNF mug (think of how good you'll feel, knowing the number of
styrofoam trees you'll save and exercise you'll get walking from the
Stock Farm lot...)

In all honesty, the NNUN administrators have an excellent plan...The
project summaries from all the NNUN sites will be published
professionally as a book and made available to the NSF, government
funding agencies, at professional conferences, etc.  The purpose of the
book is to highlight the variety and depth of research being done
throughout the various NNUN sites -- and with all the attention on
everything "nano" these days, the NNUN is in a very visible position,
particularly with government agencies (in fact, there was a visit last
week from a senate subcommittee on this topic.)  So, please think of
this as an opportunity!

Any questions, please contact me.  I may also be contacting some of you
about your November slides, to obtain your approval for turning some
bullets into prose, for submission to this project summary book.

Mary

National Nanofabrication Users' Network
mtang at snf.stanford.edu