Strange hourglass behavior on SunRays ...

John Shott shott at
Thu Oct 10 17:12:44 PDT 2002

SNF Lab Members:

Several of you have pointed out the strange "hourglass" behavior that you have
been observing occasionally when you insert or extract smart cards into the

While we don't know the exact cause of this problem (although it isn't related
to Coral ....)
we would like to take the system down early tomorrow morning to apply some
operating system patches.  We are hopeful that this may improve this hourglass
problem ... but we have also been hoping to apply some of these patches anyhow
because we have wanted to minimally affect lab operations.

We hope to get this started by 6 a.m. tomorrow morning with the expectation
that the system (including Coral) will be fully operational again before 8

Thanks for your cooperation,