Final update Au/Cr etchant

Dong-Woon Shin dwshin at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 22 20:08:40 PDT 2002

I would like to thank Mr. Chris Kenney and Ms. Linda W. for their
willingness to share their precious information with the member at SNF.

Their descriptions were very precise and even more accurate than those
information provided in the open sources.

While I was investigating another possibility of using Cr and Cu
simultaneously, I also noticed that:

[For MEMS people with Cu-metallization]

1) CR14 etches Cr selectively but not Au.
2) However CR14 can etch Cu (Cu and Cr have similar chemistry.)
3) If Cu should be remaining intact during the Cr etch, CR100 can be used.

Finally, I realized that MEMS-exchange website has a rough sketch of
every chemicals relevant to the micro-processings.

Thank you.

- DWS