Carbon Black Deposition

Anthony Flannery flannery at leland.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 12 16:53:18 PDT 2002

Hi,

Mark Capelli over in the Mechanical Engineering department had developed a process for depositing
diamond-like carbon. He may already have a set of process parameters that give you a rough carbon deposit
that will have the optical properties you need.  He's been willing to work with people in the past for
given projects.

Just as a sideline - there are lots of papers on electroplating of Pt black. It would most likely have
greater broadband absorbance than carbon black.  Carbon black will probably not absorb well in the IR. If
this is for Telco, you're better off with Pt.

Tony Flannery