Wet etching of Si (110)

Dan Grupp grupp at snowmass.Stanford.EDU
Tue Apr 1 12:52:54 PST 2003

My favorite paper is:
"Micromachining of Silicon Mechanical Structures", G. Kaminsky, Mat. Res.
Soc. Symp. Proc. Vol. 76, p. 111 (1987).

Has etch rate tables of different Si orientations and etchants. beautiful
SEM of trenches 8 um deep, 0.2 um wide!

If you want, you can xerox my copy.
-dan

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Yahong Yao wrote:

> Dear Labmembers,
>
> I want to make a through hole (500um*500um) in Si substrate with wet etching
> (KOH or TMAH).  I have done a lot of experiments with Si (100).  As we all
> know, for Si (100), we need to open the mask much larger than the dimensions
> we need on the other side.  Now I don't have the extra areas to waste on the
> wafer.  I am thinking of using Si (110) which should give a straight
> profile, but don't have much experience with that.  Can anyone share some
> insights, for example, etching rates, possible pitfalls?  Most literatures
> also talk about Si(100) instead of Si(110), why?  Thank you very much.
>
> Best Regards,
> Yahong

Dr. Daniel Grupp, Visiting Scholar
Center for Integrated Systems