HELP: cleaning gold surfaces prior to lipid monolayer addition

Luis Cascao-Pereira LCascao at genencor.com
Fri Apr 18 12:26:28 PDT 2003

Fellow Labmembers,

I am trying to deposit a tethered lipid monolayer on a gold sputtered
surface.  The longer I wait after removing the samples from
the sputterer, the worse monolayer addition I get.  I suspect an oxide
forms on top of the gold layer and therefore the sulphur-gold bond
chemistry is not as good.

Does anybody know of a way to clean/regenerate the state of the gold
surface by either a wet or dry method?  I suspect using a highly reductive
solution or some sort of etching might help.

Many thanks,

Luis Cascao

Luis G. Cascão Pereira, Ph.D.
Group Leader
Materials Science and Technology

Genencor International
925 Page Mill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304-1013
Tel: 650-846-7685
Fax: 650-621-8186
Mailto:Lcascao at genencor.com

This message (including any attachments) may contain information
which is confidential or privileged. Use, dissemination, distribution,
or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is not
authorized and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended
recipient, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and