SpecMat

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 12 16:19:39 PDT 2003

Greetings labmembers --

As you know, the Special Materials Committee (SpecMat) was formed to
help labmembers: 1.bring new chemicals and materials into the lab; and
2. learn how to use currently available or approved chemicals and
materials in new ways. The primary considerations of the SpecMat are:
1.  to ensure safe use of new chemicals and materials; and 2.  to
minimize the possibility of contamination which may affect the research
of others in the lab.

SpecMat sets the policy for the use of new, or existing materials,
usually on a case-by-case basis. The committee considers such issues as
storage, handling, waste and potential contamination issues with respect
to the lab and equipment. We are committed to working with you to meet
your processing needs, in a timely manner.

SpecMat currently consists of Jim McVittie, Mahnaz Mansourpour, Mike
Deal, John Shott, and Mary Tang.  Please submit any new
chemicals/materials requests to SpecMat at snf.stanford.edu, so that we all
receive the request and it is archived.  All requests received will be
tabulated and summarized on a monthly basis (see below,
http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/SpecMat/Requests.html  for our first
report). We hope to reduce turnaround time and minimize any redundancy
by coordinating our responses.

We have also begun the slow process of trying to collate previous new
chemicals/materials requests received in the past. We hope to develop
and maintain a labmember community accessible database of approved
chemicals/materials, but as these requests have been distributed among
several staff members, with varying levels of supporting documentation
(MSDS, application notes, literature references), it will be a long,
slow task. We ask for your patience.

In the meantime, please make use of SpecMat at snf.stanford.edu, both to
submit your requests, and to learn about any new
chemicals/materials/processes you may be considering -- one of your
fellow labmembers may have already done the homework!

Your friendly neighborhood SpecMat committee

National Nanofabrication Users' Network
mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu