Wet etching of Si (110)

Yahong Yao yy7343 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 12:46:27 PST 2003

Dear Labmembers,

I want to make a through hole (500um*500um) in Si substrate with wet etching
(KOH or TMAH).  I have done a lot of experiments with Si (100).  As we all
know, for Si (100), we need to open the mask much larger than the dimensions
we need on the other side.  Now I don't have the extra areas to waste on the
wafer.  I am thinking of using Si (110) which should give a straight
profile, but don't have much experience with that.  Can anyone share some
insights, for example, etching rates, possible pitfalls?  Most literatures
also talk about Si(100) instead of Si(110), why?  Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Yahong