Logging into sunstar/sunray/coral and you get "funny windows" ...

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 9 13:54:45 PDT 2003

SNF Lab Members:

A number of you have occasionally experienced logging into either sunstar or
sunray (the machines on which we run in-lab Coral) and getting a set of "funny
looking windows".

In this case, for reasons that I can't explain, you've gotten the wrong window
  environment.  We use Common Desktop Environment and, for whatever reason,
you've gotten either OpenWindows or Gnome.

You can fix this very quickly ....

1. Logout from that "funny looking" session.

2. When the login window reappears (before you login again), click on the
"Options" button and then select the "Session" item.

3. This will give you 5 choices (and "Users Last Desktop" should be
highlighted which, in general, is correct because, normally, you want to use
the same desktop everytime).  This time, however, select "Common Desktop
Environment (CDE)".

4. Login in normally ... you should see the desktop that you are used to and
Coral should start automatically.

Let me know if you have any further problems or questions,