FY2005 SNF rates

Paul Rissman rissman at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 16 10:14:31 PDT 2004

As you know, SNF has been struggling with budgets concerns.  Early in July,
our Executive Director, Yoshio Nishi, informed the labmember community of
upcoming rate increases.  In late July, the SNF Faculty Advisory Committee
recommended specific changes to the SNF rate structure in order to balance
income and costs.   A modified proposal was presented to key labmembers
last week.  Given the concerns of some of our labmembers and the limited
time to implementation of the FY2005 rates, the SNF executive committee has
decided on the following:

1. There will be NO CHANGE to the industrial cap and NO IMPLEMENTATION of a
soft cap on 9/1/04.  SNF management will review expenses/income and make a
recommendation by 9/15/04 for changes effective 11/1/04 with regards to the
cap and a soft cap.
2. There WILL be small changes reflecting inflation and increased cost of
doing business, effective on 9/1/04:
a. There will be an overall increase in rates for academic and industrial
users of 3.5% to $77.63/hour and $155.25/hour respectively.  In the future,
you should expect the rates to increase by 3.5% annually.
b. The training rate will be increased from $45/hour to $75/hour.  In the
future, the training rate will increase by 3.5% annually.
c. The recharge rate will be increased from $45/hour to $50/hour, effective
9/1/04.  In the future the recharge rate will increase by 3.5% annually.

I want to reassure the labmember community that every member is important
and I appreciate the feedback I have received so far.  In fact, I want to
encourage everyone to send me their thoughts and ideas, or visit me
personally.  Nonetheless, we are facing budget concerns in addition to
trying to meet the challenges of improving our capabilities, while at the
same time continuing to provide satisfactory service.  My job is to
facilitate this, which is, as I hope you all understand, is an enormously
difficult task.  I hope you value this lab, the lab community, and our
organization the way I have come to value it.  As such, I hope you will
work with me to support changes that will be required to sustain it without
sacrificing any of the qualities that make this a uniquely productive,
creative place to work.

Sincerely,

Paul Rissman