Sleeping in the lab

Thomas T. Lee leet at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 23 13:45:59 PDT 2004

Hi everyone,

A big thanks to Mary for her reminder about safety in the lab.
I have another concern that I think should be brought to everyone's
attention.  I've noticed people hunched over in chairs sleeping in
the lab late at night several times in the last few weeks.  For the
safety of yourself and everyone in the lab, if you're so tired that you
need to sleep, PLEASE GO HOME AND GO TO BED.

If you sleep in the lab, you have NO AWARENESS OF THE SITUATION
AROUND YOU.  If an emergency should arise, you would have no idea
what was happening and would be unable to respond.  It would take you
substantially longer to evacuate the lab.

Furthermore, if you're so tired that you need to sleep, YOU CAN'T HANDLE
CHEMICALS SAFELY.  Even after you take a nap, your abilities are probably
impaired, and you present a hazard to yourself and your fellow labmembers.

Finally, YOU'LL GET BETTER SLEEP IN YOUR OWN BED!  Sleeping in
chairs isn't good sleep, and if you don't get good sleep one night, it affects
your abilities for days afterward.

The bottom line is, IF YOU'RE TIRED, GO HOME.  I know that deadlines
and equipment bottlenecks often force people to work late, but nothing
that you could be working on is worth risking your health and safety.
Besides, if you're sleeping, you're not getting anything done anyway.
So please do yourself and everyone else a favor and don't sleep in the lab.

Regards,
--Tom