Revised Lab Storage Procedure

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 28 08:15:58 PDT 2004

Labmembers --

Our system of allocating storage inside and outside the lab is starting
to fray around the edges -- our waiting list of lab bins is increasing
and people can't seem to find shelf space in the CAD room for their
belongings.  So, we'd like to ask your help:

1.  Lab Bins inside the lab:  The problem is that our master bin
assignment list doesn't entirely reflect who is actually using a bin,
which is making reclaiming unused bins and assigning new bins very
difficult.  So:

                    Please clearly label the front your Lab bin with
your Coral login.

If there are old labels, remove them.  If a bins is being shared, label
with the Coral logins of the people who are sharing the bin.  You can
make labels using the label-maker in the gowning room.

                  Please do this by August 6.

And if you can't make it into the lab, please send me an email and we
will do it for you.

This will help us update the list.  Our goal is to have turnover of bins
which is similar to the turnover in labmembers (and theoretically, this
should work because we have about 3X the number of bins as the number of
active labmembers in a given month.)  So, labmembers spending little
time in the lab (as measured by equipment enable time) will be asked to
return their bins to the community, so that they can be reassigned.
(The current threshold is around 2 hours/month.  If a bin is shared, the
threshold is the collective time of the sharers.)  Labmembers should
request bins or changes in bin assignments by emailing
access at snf.stanford.edu.

2.  Storage Outside the Lab (in the CAD room):  All bins in the CAD room
should be labeled with the Coral login of the current owner.  If a bin
has changed hands,  relabel it.  This should be done by September 1. If
someone has not enabled equipment for an extended time and does not
respond to our emails, bins which appear to belong to them may be
removed.

We do try to make all reasonable attempts to contact labmembers or their
fellow labmates (if known) to return any personal belongings.  But
please realize that our storage space, especially inside the cleanroom,
is very limited and we need to be able to define a system to manage it.
We hope this is a reasonably fair and equitable way to allow storage and
ask your help in making this system work.

Thanks for your attention --

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu