Slow Coral...

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 25 16:26:05 PDT 2004

Greetings --

I understand from the Coral Development Team that when response time on
Coral is slow, nowadays, it's almost always because of non-Coral related
use of the system.  Apparently, Mozilla, Netscape, and Star Office use
up a lot of system resources, particularly when people have multiple
sessions going on at once.

So, the recommendations are, as follows (at least as I understand them
-- I take full responsibility for inaccuracies or misunderstanding):

1.  Keep only one active session (please use and hang on to that SunRay
card!)
2.  Mozilla is the preferred browser (Netscape has a tendency to run
away and take up lots of computing resources)
3.  Close Mozilla and Star Office when not in use
4.  Use of remote Coral (which does not load the system) is encouraged

Please try to conserve computer resources -- if we all do, then there
will be no waiting to enable something...

Thanks,

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu