If the latest version of Remote Coral doesn't work for you:

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 1 15:30:19 PST 2004

SNF Labmembers:

Several of you have found that the "new and improved" version of Remote
Coral won't download, much less run, on your machine.  The error message
complains about:
"Missing signed entry in resource: xerces.jar".   It appears as if the
newer version of  xerces.jar has a problem that interacts with a bug in
some older versions of Java.  Unfortunately, all of  our testing of this
prior to release did not encounter this problem .... and a number of SNF
lab members have successfully downloaded and run the latest version of
Remote Coral without errors.

To fix this problem, you will need to remove the old version of Java on
your machine and download a fresh version.

Here are instructions as to how to do this:

Under your computer's Control Panel, select "Add/Remove Programs" and
remove Java (likely listed as Java Runtime Environment).

Then go to:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

There, look for the link that says "Download J2SE JRE" and select that.
(You DON'T want the one that says J2EE, or SDK, or NetBeans IDE with SDK
.... those are all much bigger and don't contain anything that you
need.  You only need the one that is labelled with the link "Download
J2SE JRE")   You also don't want to download the stuff that is called
Java 5.0.  Go ahead and download and install that version of Java (which
should also download and install a new version of Java Web Start).

Then go to http://snf.stanford.edu/coral/etc/coral.jnlp to try the
remote client again.   This should resolve the problems that you are
encountering with Remote Coral.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused.  We DO try to
test things before releasing them ... but, to be honest, did not
anticipate that a newer version of xerces.jar would, in effect,
"activate" a bug in older versions of Java.

Thanks for your continued support,