Thanks: RE: Etching small features in Si

Rohan D. Kekatpure rohank at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 4 09:31:02 PST 2004

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the suggestions/solutions on my question about
etching narrow features in Si. Heres the summary of  the feed-back I got in
last two days:

(1) LamPoly: This seems to be the machine of choice for most people.
Specifically, I was suggested to use the HBR/O2 chemistry.

(2) P5000: This is an equally good etcher with a similar chemistry and
people have got straight sidewalls upto 85degrees. But it may require a
little more tuning than Lam.

(3) AMTEtcher: This is a via etcher and is capable of etching narrow
features. But it suffers from poor selectivity to oxide hard-masks. Metals
are allowed as stops but not as masks.

(4) Drytek: Mixed feedback. People were mainly concerned about undercutting.

(5) STS: Did not receive much feed back on this one except that the etch
rate is very fast and that it produces scalloping along the sidewalls.

Many thanks again to all the lab-members who shared their inputs. It was
indeed very helpful.

-Rohan