Overnight shutdown of SiH4, Si2H2Cl2, and dopant gases last night (Tuesday night)

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 20 05:34:05 PDT 2004

SNF Lab Members:

It appears as if we experienced an exhaust fan failure (or at least a
failure of the sensor that determines whether the exhaust fan is on) in
the toxic gas vault.  It appears as if this conditions causes the gases
in that room to be shutdown as a safety precaution.  This would include
silane (SiH4), germane (GeH4), dichlorosilane (SiH2Cl2), as well as the
arsine (AsH3), phosphine (PH3), and diborane (B2H6).  If you were
running equipment that uses any of these gases last night (Tuesday
night), please check your runs and deposition thicknesses ... those
gases may have turned off during your run.

We are still checking out this situation and will provide more details
once folks more expert than I have been able to examine the exhaust fan
and sensors.  However, at the moment, I believe that all of the above
gases are still turned off.

Please do not attempt to run the epi reactor, any of the LPCVD tubes, or
the STS pecvd system this morning until we have removed this
notification from the lab door.

Thanks for your continued support ... we'll try to get this condition
resolved as quickly as possible.