Importing bmp/jpg into GDSII

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 22 16:41:49 PDT 2004

I've had a few problems using LinkCAD to convert image
files (like BMP or JPEG) into GDS II format.  It seems
to work passably well* with black and white (not
greyscale) images where you've already filled in the
areas to write to.  (Don't count on it to read grey
or colored images correctly.)  This kind of drawing
can be done more easily with BMPs (and PNGs and GIFs)
than with most JPEGs, since a JPEG's lossy compression
can mess up a drawing's lines, although this can be
avoided by specifying lossless compression when
creating the JPEG.

*By "passably well", I mean that LinkCAD creates a
bunch of rectangular blocks within the filled-in areas
that, when written to, make up the original filled-in
area.  I don't know if this makes any significant
difference - it hasn't to me, since I do my editing in
a different format (DXF, which LinkCAD has none of the
above troubles with) then convert to GDS II - but it
is technically not exactly what was in the original
source image.

All that said, it can work.  Just make sure to check
the GDS II files that LinkCAD produces for errors, and
correct them before incorporating the result into your
other work.