E-mail spoof from EBay ...

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Sep 7 07:18:30 PDT 2004

SNF Lab Members:

I wanted to alert you all to the fact that there is a "spoof" e-mail
message that appears to come from EBay that is asking for you to confirm
sensitive account information.  I'm taking up valuable SNF bandwidth to
alert you to this in part because such a request came to the labmembers
mailing list ... and you may receive it on other mailing lists as well.
I believe that we were able to purge this message before it went out to
the labmembers mailing list ... however, you should be aware and
suspicious of similar requests.  In this case, the e-mail from EBay
looks pretty authentic ... but EBay has confirmed that it is a spoof.
It is unusual for any legitimate business to send out requests for this
type of information ... and most of them are quite happy to confirm
whether any request is legitimate (and most are not).

While spoofs such as this are becoming a common occurrence, the fact
that I had five of them in my inbox this morning caused me to think that
many of the rest of you will encounter this as well.

So, I apologize for filling your inbox with this alert ... but hope that
none of you will fall prey to this type of treachery.

Thanks for your continued support,