cnri/mems-exchange microscope

Michael Deal mdeal at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 8 08:23:48 PDT 2004

SNF Labmembers,
      Many of you have been asking about using the CNRI/MEMS-Exchange
microscope (Leica INM200) that is currently located in the AFM room of the
cleanroom.  This microscope was brought in as part of the MEMS-Exchange
program, in which SNF staff (primarily Nancy Latta) does remote processing
for MEMS-Exchange users (see www.mems-exchange.org).  The microscope is on
loan to us from CNRI for use in that program.  In the past, the people at
CNRI said that SNF labmembers could use the microscope when it isn't being
used by MEMS-Exchange users.  However, they required SNF labmembers to
first register with CNRI, which did not always happen in a timely or
convenient manner.
      I am glad to announce that SNF labmembers can now use the microscope
without needing to register.   We will try this on an experimental
basis.  If damage is done to the microscope or is otherwise abused, then we
will discontinue this.  But in the meantime, if you wish to use the
microscope to view your samples and acquire jpg images, you may do so. You
will need to enable it on Coral ("cnri-scope"), but there will be no
equipment charge for it.   The instructions for its use will be posted near
the microscope.  Note that the operation of the scope is a combination of
manual and web-based controls.
     If you have any problems or questions, contact Mike Deal
(mdeal at stanford.edu) or Jim McVittie (mcvittie at cis.stanford.edu).
                                                             -Mike