[Fwd: Dr. Chenming Hu's keynote speech delivered in Mandarin on Oct. 2, 2004 at Stanford]

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 30 10:20:17 PDT 2004

Hi all --

An invitation from Fumin!

Mary

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Dr. Chenming Hu's keynote speech delivered in Mandarin on Oct.
2, 2004 at Stanford
Date: 	Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:33:27 -0700
From: 	Fu-Min Wang <fumin at stanford.edu>
To: 	Mary Tang <mtang at snf.stanford.edu>

Mary,
Dr. Chenming Hu, Professor, UC Berkeley; former CTO of TSMC, will come
to Stanford to give a talk. Since the talk is in Mandarin, I am not sure
if it's ok to send to lab members. If you think lab members who
understand mandarin can benefit, please help me to forward to the lab
members.
Thanks!
Fumin
--------------------------------------
I just would like to invite you to come to Dr. Chenming Hu's keynote at
2 pm on Oct. 2 (Saturday). It will be a very wonderful talk and the
topic is for general audience. Dr. Hu is a luminary and it is always
great to see this type of person give a talk. As the organizer of this
event, I sincerely hope our members can attend. The admission is free
but the talk is priceless. I do hold some reservations for Stanford
affiliated members since Center for Integrated Systems at Stanford and
Prof. Ken Goodson are our sponsoring department and faculty. Please RSVP
to fumin at stanford.edu <mailto:fumin at stanford.edu> if you can come. You
can find one article about Dr. Hu in the following.
(http://www.techvantage.com.tw/content/021/021064.asp) Looking forward
to seeing you.
Sincerely,
Fumin
Event: National Taiwan University Alumni Association in North California
Annual Meeting (www.ntuaa.org <http://www.ntuaa.org>)
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Chenming Hu (Professor, UC Berkeley; former CTO of
TSMC)
Time: Oct. 2 (Saturday) 2:00 - 3:10 PM
Place: Auditorium, James H. Clark Center at Stanford University (318
Campus Drive, Stanford, CA 94305) map and directions
<http://biox.stanford.edu/clark/operations_directions.html>
Title: Report from Taiwan (delivered in Mandarin)

Abstract:
Dr. Hu lived the past three years in Hsinchu. His full-time job was the
chief technology officer of a large electronics company- Taiwan
Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) but he also interacted with
universities and government agencies often. He'll share his experiences
and observations with the audience.
Speaker Bio:
Dr. Chenming Hu received his B.S. degree from National Taiwan University
and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of California at
Berkeley, all in electrical engineering. Dr. Hu is on leave from UC
Berkeley, where he is TSMC Distinguished Professor of Electrical
Engineering and Computer Science. He has been the Chief Technology
Officer of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) in Taiwan
for the past three years and is coming back to lead his research group
in September at UC Berkeley. He was an assistant professor at MIT before
joining UC Berkeley. He was the board chairman of the East San Francisco
Bay Chinese School and is a frequent advisor to industry and educational
institutions. He was founding chairman of Celestry Design Technologies,
an IC design software company that was acquired by Cadence Design
Systems in 2003.
His research area is microelectronic devices and technologies. He has
authored or co-authored five books as well as over 750 research papers
and supervised 60 doctoral students. In 1997, Dr. Hu received the IEEE
Jack A. Morton Award for contributions to MOSFET reliability physics. In
1999, he received the DARPA Most Significant Technological
Accomplishment Award for FinFET. In 2002, he received the IEEE Solid
State Circuits Field Award for BSIM transistor model.
Dr. Hu is a member of the US National Academy of Engineering(美國國家工
程研究院院士), an Academician of Academia Sinica(中研院院士), a fellow
of the IEEE(國際電機電子工程學會會士), a fellow of the Institute of
Physics, and an Honorary Professor of the Chinese Academy of Science,
Beijing, and of Chiao Tung University, Taiwan. He has received UC
Berkeley's highest honor for teaching -- the Distinguished Teaching Award.

mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu