Poster session at Workshop on Probing the Nanoscale. May 8, Stanford.

David Goldhaber-Gordon goldhaber-gordon at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 12 13:28:15 PDT 2005

Dear students and postdocs,

Doing something neat in nanotechnology or nanoscience? Using
microfabrication to create phenomena which could not occur (or be
observed) otherwise? I strongly encourage you to attend the first annual
workshop on Probing the Nanoscale here at Stanford, Sunday May 8, and to
PRESENT A POSTER. We expect substantial interest in the poster session
from Bay Area academic and especially industrial scientists who are
eager to meet you and hear about your work. Posters will also be judged
for attractive prizes ($500 first prize, two $100 runners-up).

In addition to the posters, we have an exciting all-day roster of talks,
covering not only techniques for observing nanoscale objects but also
connections to major industrial challenges, and how scientists
communicate with the public:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/cpn/workshop2005/index.html

Registration is only $25 for students -- this includes breakfast, lunch,
and hors-d'oeuvres during the poster session. When you register, please
email Laraine Lietz-Lucas lietz at stanford.edu, Program Manager of the
Center for Probing the Nanoscale, to sign up to give a poster. Please do
this by April 30 at latest, to ensure we have enough poster boards set
up, enough food, etc. Tell your friends and colleagues!

Below I copy the announcement of the Workshop.

Best wishes,
David

CPN: Center for Probing the Nanoscale
An NSF Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center, a Joint Venture of
Stanford University and IBM Research Labs First Annual Workshop Probing
the Nanoscale Sunday, May 8, 2005

You are cordially invited to attend the CPN's inaugural event: Probing
the Nanoscale, a one-day workshop on challenges and approaches to
visualizing nanoscale structures. Hear talks by leading experts from
industry and academia. Meet CPN investigators and the broader Bay Area
community interested in nanoscale imaging and metrology.

Location: Bloch Lecture Hall of the William R. Hewlett Teaching Center
(TCSEQ), 730 Serra Mall, Science and Engineering Quad at Stanford
University.

Hours: 8:30-6, with continental breakfast and box lunch included. There
will be a poster session from 4-6, during which tasty, light fare will
be served.

Speakers include:

    Dr. Storrs Hoen, Agilent Laboratories
    "An Approach to High-Speed Atomic Force Microscopy"

    Professor Olav Solgaard, Stanford Univ. Electrical Engineering Dept,
    Solid State Photonics Lab
    "Time Resolved Measurements of Tip-Sample Interaction Forces in
Tapping-Mode AFM"

    Dr. Susan Holl, Intel
    "Metrology Challenges in the Semiconductor Industry"

    Dr. Michael Mermelstein, Umech
    "Trends in Computer-Enabled Optical Microscopy"

    Professor Davis Baird, Dept. of Philosophy and NanoCenter,
    University of South Carolina
    "On Nano Movies"

    Linda Chao, Stanford University Office of Technology Licensing
    "Technology Licensing at Stanford University"

    Dr. Steve Minne, Veeco
    "Designing for Technology Transfer"

    Dr. Dieter Weller, Seagate Recording Media Operations
    "Metrology Needs in the Magnetic Recording Industry"

    Register online NOW!
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/cpn/workshop2005/registration.html
    Questions:  Laraine Lietz-Lucas, lietz at stanford.edu

----
David Goldhaber-Gordon
goldhaber-gordon at stanford.edu
Assistant Professor of Physics 			davidg at post.harvard.edu
Deputy Director, Center for Probing the Nanoscale
Stanford University (permanent forwarding)
www.goldhaber-gordon.com
(650) 725-2047 (lab) (650) 724-3709 (office)

Address for letters or packages: 		Administrative
Associate:
David Goldhaber-Gordon 				Roberta Edwards
Geballe Laboratory for Advanced Materials 	McCullough, Rm. 338
McCullough Building, Room 346 			Phone: (650) 723-8028
476 Lomita Mall 				Fax: (650) 724-3681
Stanford, CA 94305-4045 			email:
redward at stanford.edu