using the epi machine to get smooth sidewalls

Thomas Kenny kenny at cdr.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 2 10:02:17 PDT 2005

All -

I am concerned about this line of discussion.  The epi machine in CIS
has been very fragile, expensive to maintain, and is the focal point
of many research projects in several groups because of its
capabilities for deposition.

The fact that it can also be used as a high-temperature H2 annealing
station is not itself a good reason to let it be used as such.  I
believe this would be a little like using the e-beam system to remove
edge bead on some of our wafers, or using the aligner/bonder to
assemble plastic parts from the student shops.  these things are
possible, but they are also very bad ideas.

If there is a serious interest in a H2 annealing process for STS
sidewall smoothing, we should prepare a dedicated furnace tube for
that process.  I think this would be a very popular capability.

Otherwise, I strongly oppose the concept of using the epi as a
generic, lab-wide tool to smooth STS sidewalls.  the costs of the
repairs to the epi after just a few months of such use would far
exceed the cost of making a dedicated H2 annealing process in a
furnace tube.

tk