using the epi machine to get smooth sidewalls

saraswat saraswat at cis.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 2 11:12:03 PDT 2005

Hi All,

The epi machine is a very delicate piece of equipment, very old and
very expensive to maintain. A large number of students use it for
depositing ultrathin layers Si, SiGe and Ge for fabricating
nanodevices. The heteroepitaxial growth of Ge or SiGe on Si depends
critically on fine tuning of the reactor. A slight change in the
reactor parameters totally throws off the quality of the grown layers.

I fully agree with Tom Kenny that it will be foolish idea to use this
reactor to smooth out the STS etch profiles.

Krishna Saraswat
------