Photoresist Film

Mary Tang mtang at
Mon Nov 14 14:37:25 PST 2005

Hi Matt --

I have to admit that I've never done this myself, but this is what I've been
given to understand.  The dry film resist is probably Riston, a negative
resist product from Dow.  It was designed for etching Cu on PCB's, so is
pretty resistant to many etchants.  There are many flavors of Riston - the
Dow website lists loads of them.

PCB hobbyists have lots of websites describing how to use an ordinary
laminator (like the one in the lithography area) to apply dry film resists
to PCB's.  I would imagine that apply dry film resist to a silicon
substrate would be similar (for example

And there's a reference that may be worth checking out:
V.L Spiering, et al. "Planarization and fabrication of bridges across deep
grooves or holes in silicon using a dry film photoresist followed by an etch
back."  J.Micromech. Microeng. 5, 112 (1995).

Please do get in touch with me or one of the other staff members, if you'd
like to talk more about this.  It'd be great if we could document the
process fully and have a detailed procedure on how to do this in this lab.


Quoting "Matthew D. Robbins" <mdr at>:

> Hello--
> I am interested in learning about photoresist film that can be laminated
> onto a wafer.  Mahnaz says that the resident expert on this technology is
> Tony Flannery.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to get intouch with
> Tony
> by email.  If anyone else in the lab has any information on this
> technique,
> please let me know.
> Thanks,
> Matt
> *****************************
> Matthew D. Robbins
> Department of Chemistry
> Stanford University
> 333 Campus Drive Box 56
> Stanford, CA 94305
> Office: 650-723-4398
> e-mail: mdr at
> *****************************

More information about the labmembers mailing list