spin coating liquid metal on quartz

Baylor Triplett baylortriplett at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 3 12:31:12 PDT 2005

Junxian,
      What you want to do sounds very difficult indeed. Ga, like
mercury, has high surface tension and does not wet a hydrophillic
surface such as quartz. By contrast, it can wet metallic surfaces as
long as their is not serious interference from the formation of alloys.
So, like mercury, Ga will tend to form little balls (generally much
bigger than 1 micron) on the quartz and not tend to wet it.
        I have used Ga and Ga-In alloys to make metallic contact to the
back of pure Ge detectors...typically by scratching the Ge oxide off the
surface so the Ga will wet the metallic Ge in spots. Even here you
cannot get a smooth flat surface like a true supercooled liquid.
         In trying to approach Ga on quartz, you might try to get a very
thin metallic layer on the quartz, this can be achieved by something
like Cr-gold. That is depositing 50 A of Cr to bond to the oxide in the
quartz and then 100 A of Au to bond to the metallic character of the Cr
top surface. This uses the Cr as an adhesion layer to switch from one
type of bonding to the other. Alternatively, you could a chemical
adhesion promoting layer to try to do the same thing (but these can be
harder to make work in all situations. ) Once a Cr-Au layer (or maybe
Cr-Pt might be better) is deposited , you might be able to spin a
wetting layer of Ga on the surface of the Au or Pt.
         I do not know enough about why you want to do this to comment
further at this point. In my case, the purpose of the contact was to
form a liquid metal metallic contact that would not harden and damage
the sensitive detectors as they were cooled to liquid He temperatures.
                                            Regards,         Baylor Triplett