SBIR grant lab fee rates

Paul Rissman rissman at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 3 17:01:15 PDT 2005

Labmembers

As you know, SNF raised the lab fee rates last January in order to get the
lab's budget into balance.  We are confident now that, with the expense
cuts we have implemented and the new rate structure, we should have a
balanced budget on a month-to-month basis.

SNF and NNIN would like to encourage new users of the lab, especially from
start-up companies which may be in their initial phase and supported by
SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research) grants.  At the September, 2005
SNF advisory committee meeting, a new rate structure for SBIR supported
projects was approved.  This rate will be $110/hour up to the 30 hour
monthly industrial cap or $3300/month. The SBIR grant users will be subject
to notch cap rates for equipment use of more than 160 hours/month at
$11/hour.  With the present 56% Stanford overhead rate, the totally monthly
charge for capped SBIR grant funded users will be $5148.  This represents a
32% reduction in the normally charged industrial rate and is effective
October, 2005.

If your project has a valid SBIR grant, bring a copy of the paperwork to
Maureen Baran so she can set up a new account for you which will come under
this special rate structure.  We will need a copy of the paperwork to
ensure that we can meet any potential government audit requirements.  By
the way, I stressed project in the above paragraph since if a company has
only one project with SBIR support and other work unsupported by SBIR
grant, only the SBIR project related lab equipment time would come under
the new rate.

Paul Rissman