about PRs in the etch rate chart

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 28 06:50:38 PDT 2005

Hi Hyeun-Su --

This is a generic photoresist which is no longer supplied, but is pretty
comparable to the AZ3612 that we use now. The Olin Hunt and AZ3612 (and
all the other standard resists) are sufficient for masking etch in BOE,
but not for 49% HF -- resists will become holey and peel in 49% HF (I
should add that the etch rate chart you have is from Berkeley -- it's
quite correct, but some of the entries require some interpretation. The
Olin Hunt is listed as "P", for peeling, and "0" for no measureable etch
rate -- which I think really means that it could not really be measured,
not that it doesn't etch.)

If you are doing a shallow etch (few microns) and your geometries are
larger (>10 microns), you could probably use 7 microns of SPR220,
hardbaked for any hour or so at 150 C (please do NOT use the singe oven
for this - use the BlueM or hotplate instead.) If you need a deeper etch
or finer structures, you will need a hard mask. Most commonly used are
Cr/Au (which can be deposited in metalica) or amorphous silicon (a
better film, but you have to send this out for deposition -- we have
some wafers in stock which may work for you -- ask me.) We've got
process diagrams and etch rates which I hope to post some day when I get
around to finishing them -- if you're interested, let me know and I'll
forward what I've got to you.

Good luck!

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu