EE 310 Seminar, February 7, 2006

Fely Barrera fely at gloworm.Stanford.EDU
Wed Feb 1 09:08:09 PST 2006

Title:
Colloidal Nanocrystals: Single Electron Transport and Self Assembly

Date: Feb 7, 2006 (Tuesday)
Time: 4:15 pm - 5:05 pm
Place: Hewlett 102

Speaker:
Yi Cui
Assistant Professor
Stanford University

Colloidal nanocrystals represent an important type of nanomaterials for
electronics, photonics and energy conversion. Understanding the electronic
coupling characteristics of self-assembled nanocrystal materials is
essential for these applications. Here I present my recent research in
studying coupling in different forms of self-assembled nanocrystal
systems. First, semiconductor nanotetrapods are unique self-assembled
systems of quantum dots and rods. I have demonstrated by single electron
transistor measurements that either ionic or covalent bonding-type of
coupling can exist when the interaction between the quantum dot at the
junction and the arm rods is weak or strong, respectively. Second, I have
developed a facile fluidic method for organizing nanocrystals into
large-scale device arrays, which incorporates a controlled number of
nanocrystals at lithographically precise locations on a chip and within a
circuit. The method provides interesting systems for studying chemic!
ally-tunable coupling phenomena.

Biography:

Yi Cui went to University of Science and Technology of China, where he
received a Bachelor's degree in Chemistry in 1998. He attended graduate
school from 1998 to 2002 at Harvard University, where he worked under
supervision of Professor Charles M. Lieber. His Ph.D thesis concerned
semiconductor nanowires for nanotechnology including synthesis,
nanoelectroncis and nanosensor applications. After that, he went on to
work as a Miller Postdoctoral Fellow with Professor Paul Alivisatos at
University of California, Berkeley and Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley
National Laboratory until now. His postdoctoral work was mainly on
electronics and assembly using colloidal nanocrystals.  He is now an
Assistant Professor in Department of Materials Science and Engineering at
Stanford University. His current research is focused on nanomaterials
synthesis, electronic properties, memory and sensor devices. He has
received the Technology Review World Top Young Innovator Award (2004),
Miller Research Fellowship (2003), Distinguished Graduate Student Award in
Nanotechnology (Foresight Institute, 2002), Gold Medal of Graduate
Student Award (Material Research Society, 2001).