Ph.D Oral Defense (Today): MEMS tunable blazed grating by Xiang Li

Xiang Li xiangli at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 7 01:32:15 PST 2006

DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED PHYSICS
UNIVERSITY PhD DISSERTATION DEFENSE

Xiang Li

Research Advisor Professor O. Solgaard

Design, Fabrication and Applications of MEMS Tunable Blazed Gratings

February 7,  2006 @ 1:30 P.M.

CIS-X Auditorium, Room 101

ABSTRACT

Optical micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS) have wide applications in
optical telecommunications and display. Blazed gratings on the other hand
have been essential components in many optical systems.

MEMS tunable blazed gratings that can actuate individual elements of a
blazed grating on micrometer level by electrostatic force will not only
extend the functionality of convention monolithic blazed gratings with
advantages of MEMS, but also enable interesting new applications with its
much larger number of degrees of freedom.

In my presentation, I will discuss the concept, theory, design, fabrication
and applications of MEMS tunable blazed gratings in optical communication
and spectroscopy.