Prof Juergen Brugger, EPFL - SPECIAL SEMINAR-3/1/06...

Beth Pruitt pruitt at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 24 11:28:26 PST 2006

MEMS seminar next Wed...

>Good Morning!
>We begin March with a special Guest Lecturer,
>Professor Juergen Brugger, from the Swiss
>Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL),
>Lausanne, Switzerland.
>

>  Please save the date:
>Your presence will help in making the seminar a
>success.  Please see abstract below:
>

>SPECIAL SEMINAR
>
>Wednesday, March 1, at 4:15 pm
>Building 300, Room 300
>Refreshments served beforehand at 4:00 pm
>

>Professor Juergen Brugger, Ph.D.
>
>Microsystems Laboratory
>Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
>Lausanne, Switzerland
>

>Microtools for nanotechnology: bridging gaps
>

>ABSTRACT
>
>MEMS tools are ideal to bridge the gap from
>macro to nanoscale, and vice-versa. This talk
>will start with an overview of our recent
>research and engineering activities at EPFL in
>the field of MEMS-based devices for
>nanotechnology. We have further developed
>scanning probe based systems by adding new
>materials (polymers (SU-8) and metals (W, Pt))
>to the toolbox of tips and cantilevers allowing
>to further expand the range of mechanical
>properties, tip radius, and probe-surface
>interaction. One particular example is a new
>generic fabrication process for cantilevers
>combining SU-8 (a photostructurable polymer)
>with integrated/embedded electrodes useful for
>sensing function [1], e.g. micro-four point
>probes with reduced probe-to-probe spacing and
>reduce compliance for soft surfaces [2], a probe
>made of W thin film [3] and miniature
>Hall-sensors for non-invasive magnetic field
>sensing [4]. Other types of MEMS-for-NANO
>devices are ultra-thin mechanical membranes that
>we use to shadow deposit material by a so-called
>nanostencil lithography [5]. Here, a patterned
>silicon nitride thin membrane is used as
>shadow-mask to structure surfaces at the
>micron-scale down to sub-100 nm. The method does
>not require resist-based steps (spinning,
>baking, solvents, etc.), hence it can be applied
>to all sort of substrates, including mechanical
>fragile and bio-chemically functionalized
>surfaces. Nanostencil lithography is promising
>for rapid prototyping as it allows for flexible
>creation of customized nanostructures in
>laboratories that do not have access to high-end
>lithography tools. It enables combinatorial
>material science, as well as a low-cost
>replication methods to scale up nanopatterning.
>I will also show an example that it can be used
>for the fabrication of cantilever and bridges in
>the sub-micron scale for NEMS and as post-CMOS
>nanopatterning method featuring 1 micron
>alignment accuracy on 100 mm wafer scale.... but
>I will also discuss the current limits and
>challenges ahead to make it a reliable method.
>
>[1] Schahrazede Mouaziz et al. "Polymer-based
>cantilevers with integrated electrodes", JMEMS
>(in press)
>[2]  S. Keller, et al., "Microscopic four-point
> [...]
  Jüergen Brugger received a Ph.D. degree in 1995
from the University of Neuchatel, Switzerland for
a work on microfabricated tools for the atomic
force microscope, which included a one-year
period at the Hitachi Central Research
Laboratories, Tokyo, Japan. He then joined the
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory in Rüschlikon,
Switzerland, working on the parallel AFM-based
data storage project "Millipede". >From 1998 to
2001 he was directing the "NanoLink" Strategic
Research Orientations at the MESA+ Research
Institute, University of Twente, The Netherlands.
In September 2001 he was appointed Assistant
Professor "tenure track" at the EPFL. His main
professional interests include the development of
new tools for nanoscience and engineering
techniques at the mesoscopic length-scale, in
particular to develop methods for accessing the
nanometer scale (top-down), and to combine them
with self-assembly strategies (bottom-up), and to
bridge life-science with solid-state devices at
the micrometer and sub-micrometer scale. He has
published over 50 journal papers, is
(co-)inventor of 8 patents, and received two IBM
research awards. His private pursuits include
outdoor sports such as biking and mountaineering
as well as indoors sports such as the combination
of Single Malts and Jazz music.