Learn how to save someone's life!

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 7 14:05:30 PST 2006

Greetings labmembers:

We’ve just arranged for a First Aid/CPR/AED class to be offered here,
on-site.

This 8-hour course, offered through Stanford EH&S, will cover basic
first aid and simple emergency procedures that you could use to save
someone’s life. This course will also cover Cardio-Pulmonary
Resuscitation (CPR) and use of the Automated External Defibrillator
(AED) – which are awfully handy skills to know, when someone’s heart stops.

If you, like me, were once CPR-certified ages ago, it’s well worth doing
again because the recommended best-know-practices (and survival rates)
have changed a LOT. Also, we now have two AED systems in this building,
so it’s handy to know how to use one (or have someone on-hand who does!)
One statistic quoted by EMT professionals is that use of CPR alone may
have a survival rate of 2% of less, whereas the combination of CPR and
AED has a survival rate of 80% or greater (the American Heart
Association doesn’t quote stats, but does say that quick-response
CPR/AED is essential for high survival rates.)

The class will be held over two days: Monday and Tuesday, April 3-4,
from noon to 4 pm. Completion of this course gives you a certification
that is valid for two years. Anyone may register for this course. The
cost for the class is $65. If you are a Stanford person, your department
may cover the cost of this class (and STAP funds certainly will). Class
fees may also be transferred to your SNF account, upon request.

If you are interested in registering for the class, please get in touch
with me.

Thanks for your attention!

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu