Gladys Sarmiento's departure

Nancy Latta nlatta at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 15 10:15:51 PST 2006

Folks-

As you may be aware, Gladys has now left Stanford. Her last day was
March 1. She wanted to leave quietly and we’ve respected her request,
but she’s promised to come back and visit often.

We have a yellow book for you to write memories, good wishes, jokes or
just your name. If you have any photos you'd like to add please bring
them too. We'd like for this book to be a nice reminder to Gladys of her
20 years here at Stanford.

As you probably know, Gladys returns twice a year to her home in the
Philippines. It’s a small, rural village where education, especially for
girls, typically ends at 12. For years now, Gladys has been funding a
scholarship fund to allow students to continue their education -- some
of her students have now graduated from college. She has also built a
facility which has now become the community center for the village. We
think it would be a good way to show our appreciation for Gladys by
collecting some funds to help her continue her work with her community.

So please come by my office (Gladys's old office) at CIS 145 to sign the
book and make a donation to her scholarship fund if you like. But come
by soon; we'd like to give her the book on 21 March.

-Nancy