Isotropic Silicon Wet etch

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 29 13:19:02 PST 2006

Hi,

XeF2 and most so called isotropic plasma etches are not truely isotropic. They
usually show a concentration dependence. The problem shows up inside confined
structures where one sees that the etch rate is faster near the opening where
the F spices enters the structure. Back in the early 80s we developed a true
isotrope etch on the Dryteks. The conditions are:
100 CF4/ 10 O2, 750W and 300 mT.  The poly etch rate was 3700 A/m and thermalk
ox rate was ~ 125A/min. The resist ER was about 5 X faster than ox. We usually
did 1 min O2 descum step before the poly etch using  100 O2, 500 w, 150 mT  to
remove any organics from the poly or Si surface. The results where very
isotropic in that the Si removal was the same everywhere in the structure. Note
that the poly ER should show  some loading effects in that the rates will be
lower with larger exposed areas.

    Jim