Junk Mails

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 31 20:32:41 PST 2006

Raghav:

I fear that we all get a ton of spam these days and that the spammers
are winning the war against spam filters and the like.  I can tell you a
bit about my experiences as well as what we are doing ... and what would
be hard to do ... related to spam.

For starters, this mailing list (labmembers at snf) is far and away the
biggest list that we maintain and  is moderated. To my knowledge this
particular list has not had ANY spam messages slip through since we
began moderating it about 18 months ago.  Moderation of this list is
important because it's a list that's in a lot of folk's inbox, is named
on our web, etc.

We also maintain approximately 200 other mailing lists: about 100 of the
form equipment_name at snf and another 100 of the form
equipment_name-pcs at snf that are for technical discussion and
problem/comment/shutdown reports of each piece of equipment,
respectively.  I'll look at some of our archives to see if I can come up
with some statistics, but I haven't  noticed a huge fraction of spam
messages reaching me that come in via these lists in comparison to the
overwhelming volume of spam that I receive each day simply addressed to
me ... and I'm actually subscibed to all 200 of those lists.  Moderation
of 200 lists would be onerous and would likely be unpopular in the case
of the problem/comment/shutdown lists because of delays in getting
reports to the staff that can address them.  Limiting postings to only
subscribers doesn't work because most of you are subscribed as
name at snf.stanford.edu but send/receive email from elsewhere.  Limiting
postings to only Stanford email addresses won't work because of all of
the non-Stanford labmembers.  For a long time, at least, those mailing
lists were comparatively spam-free ... both because they are typically
low-traffic and because the e-mail address never appears on a website
where it can readily slurped up by spammers.

We don't maintain our own spam filters and rely on the stuff that
Stanford provides.  I know that's not great, but our computer support
staff is rather minimal and thus far, at least, that hasn't been our
highest priority.

I'll try to take a look at some of the e-mail archives and see if I can
generate some more quantitative number as to how prevelant this problem
is and will also give some thought to what me might do to improve this
situation without reducing the utility of these lists.

If labmembers have any suggestions, please send them to me privately and
I'll consider your ideas ... we frequently hear and adopt good ideas
from labmembers.