Acid neutralization system shutdown!

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 4 11:24:00 PDT 2006

SNF Lab Members and lab occupants in CIS-X:

The second neutralization tank has developed a slow-leak that is likely
only going to get worse.  Accordingly, we are likely to have to shutdown
this system for a period of approximately 12 hours sometime during the
next few days.  During that time, all acids will have to be drained from
wetbenches, the wetbenches will not be allowed to be used and the DI
water system will likely also be off.

This is because tanks need to be drained and dried so that repair
personnel can get in the 1000 gal fiberglass tank and make repairs.

We don't yet have this scheduled, but I wanted to let you know that this
will likely be happening between now and early next week.

By tomorrow, you should be able to contact either Dick Crane
(rcrane at snf.stanford.edu) or Leonard Chan (leonardc at bonair.stanford.edu)
to learn more about the timing of this event.

We apologize for this, but feel that it needs to be addressed before it
becomes a more catastrophic failure.

Thanks for your ongoing support,