Wafer Diameter Reduction Service?

Anthony Flannery flannery at axept.com
Sat Oct 21 15:56:07 PDT 2006

Hi,

I've done this quite a lot.

If it is an unaligned cut or a cut where the alignment requirements aren't
extremely demanding, I've used Directed Light here in San Jose.

http://www.directedlight.com/

If the cut requires precise alignment, like you are cutting an 8" CMOS wafer
down and really need to get your edges and placement just right, I have used
Resonetics in Nashua, NH. More expensive and slower turnaround but they have
tighter capability.

http://www.resonetics.com/

Laser cutting has a depth limitation so if the wafer is thicker than
~600-700 um the best method is to have it cut with a water jet.  I have had
this done at APD  (I think) in San Jose.

Once you have it cut you have to have it edge ground. These cuts are really
rough, throw off particles galore, and make the wafer susceptible to
breakage. Plan on changing boxes and/or carriers.  Also, make sure you have
allocated extra diameter in your cut for loss during edge ground.

For faster turnarounds, edge grinding can be done at Ultrasil
http://www.ultrasil.com/

Other option is Silicon Quest http://www.siliconquest.com/

Good luck,

Tony